Monday, October 1, 2012

Who is Jos?

Jos, who is Jos? Jos is a 5 month old Border Collie puppy, in fact, he's 5 months old today! Happy Birthday Jos! I hope to note some of his journey, both in growing up and in his herding training.

Jos is special, I didn't pick him scientifically, I didn't research pedigrees, I quite simply, saw a picture of him, and saw something special, something in his eyes, that drew me to him. I wasn't even looking for a puppy at the time, but from that first moment, that was "it".

He has proven to be everything I saw in him, very special, and even at this young age, we have a special bond, something that is important to me, as important as a great working dog. For me, that special bond is what it is all about. I've had puppies before, have actually placed pups in other homes as they just weren't "right" for me. Yes, I guess I am picky, but, why spend all that time if you are not happy, and the pup will be happier with someone else? Not the politically correct thing to do, I'm sure, but it is, the right thing to do.

Jos has been on stock twice, and as I don't like to over pressure a young growing body and mind, his "formal" training on sheep will have to wait a few months... but when he's been on stock, I am thrilled with what I see! He actually "told" me he was ready to work, with his serious attitude around the sheep, so.... I went for it, and one day before feeding the sheep, I let him have a go at it! That's always so exciting, seeing what a pup or young dog will do. Well, Jos was all business, tail down, he went right to work! not a bit of "play" in him, all business.

So, at this time, while we wait, I enjoy spending time with him, and taking him to sheepdog trials. He's gonna be a winner! Actually, he already is, in my eyes, he's perfection :-)

Stay tuned for stories about Jos's progress, his adventures, and finally... (in his eyes) his opportunity to prove himself on sheep.

1 comment:

  1. Nice add with the picture. I am a following you. So is Dan.

    ReplyDelete