Wednesday, October 31, 2012

a grand morning w Jos and the sheep!

Jos and I had a grand time with the sheep today, Dan is my backup dog, putting sheep where we need them, and helping if needed. He's going to be one bored back up dog soon, as Jos is doing so well!

Jos will be 6 months old tomorrow, so is still something of a "wee one", altho his seriousness would could fool one into thinking he's a grown dog. He's beginning to push himself out to where he needs to be, even today, doing 2 things that really impressed me! (well more than 2, but we'll just talk about 2 of them)

When going around the sheep, he actually, pushed out at a corner, while going around them, nice one Jos! So instead of racing in, he actually, pushed out a bit, to catch the eye of the sheep to keep them together! His other aha! impressive thing was, when they were in front of me, a few started to pass me, and he went to go around, but... but... the ones that remained in front, jumped off quick in the other direction, not following their friends! What did Jos do?

Jos, little guy that he is, changed directions, flanked out to put them in the bunch!

No assistance from me, all on his own! I was impressed, and pleased. What a natural working little guy he is! When I back up, if the sheep start to drift off in another direction, he arcs to the side, to turn their heads and keep them with me. He's also flanking nicely, keeping off them enough to keep them together, and seems to be reading he does not need to be right on top of them to do so. No chasing, no gripping, no grabbing, no wild tail in the air stuff. He's all business!

Very hard to explain with words, one of these days I'll get someone to video this amazing little guy! It's just too hard to watch sheep, and Jos, at the same time! This little guy is gonna be the best! I just adore working with him, he's a joy.

So for now, Jos, "that'll do", get some beauty rest, as tomorrow you are 6 months old! Happy Birthday Jos!
Jos in the hay barn, Oct 30, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Karen

    How is Jos doing? Has he gone backwards as he hit his teenage years? One of the things I find hard about training a young dog is his teen years. Train though it or put them up until they know the truth of the rest of the story. You and I both know there is something that happens once a dog has reached that 1st birthday and again around his 2 bday give or take 3 months or so. Enjoy reading your blog, Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, thanks for the comments :-) at this time, we're taking some time off as I just got out of a 3 week stay in the hospital for pnuemonia... but in answer to your questions, no Jos has not gone backwards, he's an exuberant guy, 40 pounds now! I don't put them up when they reach the silly adolescent age. I use work as a good way to let them burn up that boundless energy they have, and take it as an opportunity. It also gives their minds some direction, and tires them mentally. My feeling being, I can't waste all that time waiting til they are 2 years of age. And the work helps keep them content, and from developing bad habits around the ranch. Additionally, I feel work "grows them up".

      Delete